Artist Development and Juried Sound Recording
*all new artist and applicant profiles must be submitted at least 7 days before the deadline day*
- Thursday May 25th, 2017 - 11:59pm PST
- Thursday September 28th, 2017 - 11:59pm PST
- Thursday January 25th, 2018 - 11:59pm PST
Support for Eligible Music Companies
(Business Development Component)
- Thursday April 27th, 2017 - 11:59pm PST
Applications to the Business Travel component can be made throughout the year.
*NEW - For all components, applicants for first-time funded projects must submit a letter of intent at least five months prior to the start date, and receive permission from FACTOR to apply. In subsequent years, applications for those same projects must be submitted at least three months prior to the project or event start date.
NOTE: Provincial and territorial music industry associations must submit their whole year's activities under the Showcase Production for Export-Ready Canadian Artists component by February 1.
Applications must be submitted at the latest three months prior to the start date of the proposed event/project.
Comprehensive Music Company
Live Performance (at least one day before the start of the trip)
Marketing & Promotion for Non-FACTOR-funded Sound Recordings
Songwriter's Workshop (at least one day before the start of the workshop)
- Semi-annual Review: Thursday August 31st, 2017
- Annual Review: Wednesday February 28th, 2018
All new and updated 2017-2018 Program Guidelines, Resources, Business Policies, as well as new Artist and Applicant Ratings, will be published no later than April 1, 2017.
The new ratings will apply to new projects submitted as of April 1 2017. For ongoing projects, with multiple components approved prior to April 1 (such as a Juried Sound Recording or Comprehensive Artist project) the applicable rating is the one in effect at the time the application was approved.
*NEW - Support for Eligible Music Companies
This program provides funding for business development initiatives that support the marketing and promotion of the company and its services, as well as domestic and international travel to support the company's development objectives: Business Travel and Business Development. All expenses and activities must serve to promote and benefit the growth of the company as a whole.
- Who Can Apply? - Eligible Music Companies that have an approved Applicant Profile with a Company Rating of 2 or higher.
- Deadlines - For Business Development, there is one application deadline, Thursday April 27th, 2017. For Business Travel, multiple applications are allowed throughout the year.
- How much? - FACTOR may provide a grant of 50% of the Total Eligible Budget to a maximum of $7,500 for Applicant companies rated 2; and up to a maximum of $20,000 per Applicant companies rated 3 and higher. This is per FACTOR fiscal year, across both components.
Full program guidelines will be published no later than April 1, 2017.
FACTOR @ ECMA's / Saint John, NB
- Wed April 26th - Sat April 29th, 2017
- Mentorship Sessions with FACTOR President, Duncan McKie and Communications Officer, Karina Moldovan. Sign up details to come.
In Case You Didn't Know!
Full-length means: An album, having at least six (6) different songs or tracks, or running in excess of twenty (20) minutes in duration. Provided that all tracks are commercially released within 12 months of each other, six (6) different single tracks, or several tracks running in excess of twenty (20) minutes, may constitute a full-length album for FACTOR purposes.
A "Qualifying Album" means: (a) a full-length sound recording comprised of previously unreleased tracks that is performed by a Canadian Artist; (b) conforms to Business Policies: MAPL Certification; AND (c) contains no more than 50% French-language tracks. For clarity, an album of remixed, previously released tracks does not constitute a Qualifying Album.