How To: Bandcamp
Bandcamp is an online music distribution platform, which allows independant artists (and labels) to sell their music. It has a lot of customizable features for artists and it's fairly easy to set-up. Uploading music to Bandcamp as an artist is free, and they take a cut of the sales (plus processing fees). The Bandcamp Pro option offers more customizable options, but the basic account still offers a good starting point.
How To: Start
- Sign up as an Artist. Enter your Band / Artist Name and email, and create your username and password.
- Choose your general genre of music (pop, rock, country,etc.) You can also create up to five tags for more specific genre (electropop, power pop, etc.) #protip Tags are how fans can discover your music. Be specific and typo-free!
- Select your location (City, province, country)
- Select your custom domain for your Bandcamp Account. #protip Choose a domain that is similar to your social media handles. For example, we (MNB) use MusicMusiqueNB across all platforms. It makes it easier for your fans to find you!
How To: Add and Album
- Click "Add music".
- Enter the Album name, release date and pricing. You can choose your own pricing or ask your fans to "name their price",
- Upload your album cover (minimum size: 1400 px x 1400 px).
- Upload each track (.wav, .aif, .flac), with track name, pricing, description, lyrics and credits.
How to: Pimp Up your Profile
Once you've upload your music, you can start playing with how your profile looks.
- Upload a header (975 px wide x 40-180 px high) and artist photo.
- In the top right corner, click on your artist name and select "profile". Add your websites & social media (full URL).
- Start sharing!!
You can also sell merchandise and individual tracks, add shipping for physical albums, and a slew of other stuff. Feel free to look at your favourite bands Bancamp and borrow some of their great ideas! And when in doubt, Bandcamp has an extensive Help Section!