M•C•M PROGRAM - EMERGING MUSIC INDUSTRY PROFESSIONALS
Music•Musique NB (MNB) is proud to bring back the M•C•M (MUSIC · CAREER · MENTORSHIP) program! This year’s program will focus on the development of emerging music industry professionals (booking agents, managers, etc.) in New Brunswick. The program will run from May 2020 to May 2021 with the objective of giving the participating emerging pros the resources they need to develop their music industry knowledge and skills with the intention of working in NB. During the course of the program, each emerging pro will be paired up with an emerging artist from NB, helping them with business and administration related tasks. The program is divided into six different modules with different mentors for each module.
As with all training programs, the M•C•M program requires an investment on the part of the applicant. The applicant must have a strong interest in the music industry and be committed to a year long mentorship & education program.
NEW DEADLINE: APRIL 3, 2020
PROGRAM OFFICER: Dominique Tremblay (email@example.com)
THE M•C•M MODULES ARE:
1. Music Industry 101
This introduction module will cover the basics of the provincial and national music industry by giving an overview of the fundamental elements as well as important definitions. It will provide a higher level of comprehension regarding the music industry and serve as a good foundation to start the program.
2. Business & Marketing Plan Development
The Business & Marketing Plan module consists of learning how to create and work with business and marketing plans. The participants will create their own business plans with the guidance of the mentor. After developing their own business plan, the mentees will work with their artists to develop a marketing plan for a project (ex.: for an EP or music video launch).
3. Funding & Showcase Application Writing
Grantwritting and applying for showcasing is an art in itself. Through hands on mentorship and great #protips, the emerging pros will learn how to optimize their chances when applying for funding and showcasing opportunities.
4. Releasing Content & Digital Marketing
This module is divided in two components: Releasing Content and Digital Marketing. Both these elements are crucial to develop a successful music career. The Releasing Content component will cover the life cycle of a new album, EP or single. In the Digital Marketing component, the emerging pros will learn how to manage a digital campaign properly and optimize the artist’s social media and other platforms.
5. Booking, Contracts & Legal
This module is divided in two components: bookings and legal. The booking section will cover best practices in tour management, the logistics surrounding touring and the negotiation process. In the legal component, participants will get the chance to learn about the essential elements of an agreement or contract and other legal aspects to consider while working in the music industry.
6. Royalties & Intellectual Property
This module will cover everything on royalties & intellectual property. The emerging pros will learn the specifics of the different revenue streams and the roles of all the different royalty management organizations.
THE OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAM ARE:
- For the New Brunswick emerging pro to establish and develop their music business.
- Acquiring knowledge and skills through mentorship and a “hands on” approach working with an emerging artist.
- Develop and increase the capacity and knowledge of the NB music industry
- Encourage and foster New Brunswick music businesses and startups.
- Supporting and fostering emerging artists
EMERGING PRO’S PROFILE:
- Is a resident of New Brunswick for at least one (1) year
- Has a serious interest to work in the music industry
- Has an interest in administrative work
- Is organized
- Has good written and oral communication skills
- Is willing to collaborate and develop a professional relationship with the paired artist.
- Is willing to work a few hours a week on tasks related to paired artist’s development.
- Is prepared to work closely with all the mentors.
- Demonstrates professionalism.
EMERGING PRO’S COMMITMENT:
- One “Workshop Weekend” every two months (6 sessions in total). Locations to be determined. All travel and accommodation costs will be covered by the program.
- Time investment: approximately 5 to 10 hours weekly (time investment will vary depending on the module)
- Browse documents provided independently, consult the mentor if necessary.
- Commit to developing your business by applying the advice and guidance provided by the mentors.
The cost of the program for each participant is $3,000 with 95% subsidized by the Government of New Brunswick. The participants are required to contribute 5% ($150), before the start of the program. A payment plan option is available. No cost to apply.
WHAT MNB PROVIDES:
- Costs related to travel and accommodations for MCM related initiatives
- Mentors and training facilitators
- Documentation and study materials
- A nice shiny certificate once you've successfully finished the program.
APPLY HERE: https://form.jotform.com/200504462639048
THIS PROGRAM IS POSSIBLE THANKS TO FUNDING FROM THE PROVINCE OF NEW BRUNSWICK.