Music·Musique NB is releasing the 2023-2024 Guidelines for the Music Industry Development (MID) Investment Program. The Application Forms and the Application Help Guides are also available starting. Visit the MID Website for more information.
The deadlines for the 2023-2024 fiscal year are:
Artist Development & Marketing
- April 17, 2023 | 6 PM AST *Eligible expenses can be incurred starting April 1, 2023.
- June 14, 2023 | 6 PM AST
- October 4, 2023 | 6 PM AST
- May 2, 2023 | 6 PM AST *Eligible expenses can be incurred starting April 1, 2023.
Live Performance, Showcase & Professional Development + Business Travel
- These components have a rolling deadline. Applications are reviewed on the first Tuesday of each month by a jury starting April 4, 2023. No applications will be accepted after 6 PM AST on February 5, 2024.
- Applications must be submitted at least two (2) business days prior to the departure date and no earlier than three (3) months in advance of travel.
- Decisions regarding all applications will be communicated a maximum of two (2) weeks after the first Tuesday of each month.
- The Applicant can be an individual or a registered business with Service NB (for groups and businesses). In both cases, Applicants and/or business staff must have resided in New Brunswick for at least 6 months prior to their application, and be Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
- Not-for-profit organizations, festivals, studios and venues are only eligible for the Professional Development & Business Travel component.
The MID program contributes up to 50% of eligible expenses for all components except Artist Development (75%).
APPLICATION EVALUATION CRITERIA & JURY PROCESS
A new MID Program Evaluation Criteria and Process document has been created with information regarding the MID jury process as well as component evaluation criteria.
PROJECT ADMIN FEES
- Project administration fees covered by the MID program can be no more than 10% of final MID investment when submitting the completion report.
- Admin fees are not applicable to the Artist Development and PD & Business Travel components.
COMPONENT SPECIFIC CHANGES
Musicians who have toured and worked with other professional musicians or on significant projects will not be considered emerging artists and their application will be withdrawn.
- Minimum number of three (3) confirmed dates in different municipalities is required at the time of application.
- The Tour should be continuous and scheduled with no extensive breaks between dates. (An “extensive break” generally means more than five days off, depending on the territory being toured, but Music•Musique NB will allow exceptions where the tour is a significant distance from the artist’s home city.)
- No longer eligible: Fees related to ongoing web-related expenses such as website hosting, domain name registration, SoundScan, video conference account subscription fees, online distribution fees and online listening platform fees (e.g. Bandcamp, etc.)
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT + BUSINESS TRAVEL
- New eligible project: Stage Craft: Working with a stage professional or coach, stylist, sound and/or light technician, etc. that have a track record of doing this type of work.
- Level of investment: A maximum of $2,000 per application
- Projects or albums can only receive funding from this component once.
- One deadline, May 2, 2023, instead of two per fiscal year
- Level of investment: A maximum of $5,000 per fiscal year
Live Performance · Showcase · PD + BT · Sound Recording:
- Per diem have been increased to $50/person per day in Canada (covered at 100%).
- Personal vehicle usage rate has been increased to $0.50 per km.
- Artist and musician Fees: Maximum investment increased to $200 per musician per performance day (covered at 100%) for Live Performance · Showcase.
- Accommodation, per diem and personal vehicle usage are now eligible for live performances taking place 50 km and over from the Applicant’s home base (previously 100 km and over).
Live Performance · Showcase · Marketing:
Promotional material (posters, social media ads, T-shirts, stickers and other merchandise items): Maximum investment of $500 (for Live Performance · Marketing and $300 Showcase)
Live Performance · Showcase:
Services pertaining to publicity and promotion of tours and showcases must include quotes and invoices detailing the dates of the tour.