Known for intense, roiling live performance, signature soaring vocals and warm, disarming on-stage humour, New Brunswick's soulful roots artist Mike Biggar is a definitive natural live performer. Add to this his gutsy, bluesy delivery, honest and reflective of childhood roots in gospel music. Then underline it all with infectious melodies and compelling, soul-baring lyrics and it becomes clear why Biggar is described as a unique breed of singer-songwriter. He unfurls his music with a conviction that is distinct, effective, and even a bit spiritual. But the deep imprint he leaves on listeners confirms why his music is marked by acclaim and awards.
Following the 2017 release of his third album GO ALL IN on Busted Flat Records and a banner year of touring and publicity, Biggar’s latest offering of songwriting prowess has been recognized again, receiving the Music New Brunswick Award for 'Blues Artist of the Year' in October 2017, and a 2018 East Coast Music Award nomination for ‘Blues Recording of the Year’. These latest accolades add to his twice previous Music NB Award wins (2014 and 2011), an East Coast Music Award (2012) and numerous other nominations and acclaim. Biggar has received glowing album reviews, radio play and interviews across Canada, Europe and Australia, with special features in key publications such as the UK’s Blues Matters and FATEA magazines.
GO ALL IN is a roots music evolution for Biggar, achieved by connecting more deeply than ever with his own musical history. He pays particular attention to his childhood roots in gospel music and the cultural influences of life on Canada's East Coast. The result is a delightfully eclectic offering that comprises a compelling representation of Biggar's musical lineage. Track to track, GO ALL IN tells a stylistic musical story - from the foot-stompingly fun bluesy acoustic lead-off 'Blood From A Stone' down through brass-backed, soul-stirring Memphis nods like 'Go All In' and 'If It Was Easy'. Biggar's penchant to mingle heartbreak and intimacy is well displayed with ballads like 'Leaving These Days' and 'Kinda Sad'. And his noted tradition for top level co-writing continues on GO ALL IN, pairing with east coast blues marvel Charlie A'Court, producer/R&B artist Chris Kirby, and Canadian country hit-maker Chris Cummings.
Biggar has been a featured performer on major East Coast festival stages such as Stan Rogers Folk Festival, Cavendish Beach Music Festival, Kempt Shore Festival, Larlee Creek Hullabaloo, Harvest Festival and has shared the stage with artists such as Steve Earle, Gordie Sampson, Matt Andersen, Stephen Fearing, Lynn Miles, Dave Gunning, Ron Hynes, Rose Cousins, Del Barber, Joey Landreth, Jay Semko and more.
2018-2019 sees Biggar expanding his tour reach to new territories with booking throughout Canada, the USA, and Europe, with GO ALL IN creating a potent roots music calling card that is sure to garner fresh affection from familiar listeners and make new fans wherever it is heard.
• NOMINATED: 2018 East Coast Music Award, 'Blues Recording of the Year' - "Go All In"
• WINNER: 2017 Music NB Award, 'Blues Artist of the Year' - "Go All In"
• NOMINATED: 2017 Music NB Award, 'SOCAN Songwriter of the Year' - "Hell and High Water"
• SEMI-FINALIST, 2016 International Song Writing Competition – “Blood From A Stone”
• NOMINATED: 2015 East Coast Music Award, ‘Country Album of the Year’ – "Feels Like Now"
• WINNER: 2014 Music NB Award, ‘Country Album of the Year’ – "Feels Like Now"
• FINALIST, 2014 Unsigned Only Song Writing Contest – “Better Men”
• SEMI-FINALIST, 2013 International Song Writing Competition – “Better Men”
• FINALIST, 2013 CCMA National FanFest Performance Contest
• WINNER: 2012 East Coast Music Award - 'Gospel Recording of the Year'' - "The Season"
• WINNER, 2011 Music NB Award - 'Inspirational Recording of the Year' - "The Season"
• GO ALL IN - 2017 Busted Flat Records
• FEELS LIKE NOW - 2013 Busted Flat Records
• THE SEASON - 2011 Busted Flat Records